Skip to main content

Observing Life

On a recent episode of The Adam Carolla Show, host Adam Carolla asked guest Neil  deGrasse Tyson what really elevated his status to the point where he is today. Tyson shared that his notoriety really began to take off when he began sharing what he deemed to be simple observations in every day life. The specific example he used was the fact that you can buy guns at a Walmart but cannot by a profanity-laced music album. It was observations like these shared on Twitter that sparked wars between other Twitter users and thus caused him to become famous for making such observations.

Tyson isn't the only person to note this, too. In almost every interview I've watched with Seth Godin, he responds that his prime occupation in life is observing things and making notes about them. And if my memory serves me correctly, Jerry Seinfeld has attributed a lot of his comedy from observing minute and peculiar life events.

So apparently, there's something important about this observation business.

A slight confession: I've naturally always been aware of this, but it's only recently that I've heard more and more from other public figures how important this is. I hate to write about things that only relate to me, so I'm glad to find I'm not alone!

I genuinely can't recall how this came to be, for myself. I suppose it's because I've relentlessly pursued truth in my life, especially in terms of faith. Never wanting to settle for the "easy answer", I have always pushed myself to keep asking more questions, and more questions require more observations.

Anyway, I really think there is something to this observation business, especially for business. There are several ways in which we can observe things, including...

- The behavioral tendencies of our coworkers
- How well a product or service performs compared to competitors
- Data analytics
- Process timings and value
- Pretty much everything, really!

So what's the first step to observation? You might not be surprised at the answer. It's the same one I've given across other posts multiple times.

Admit to yourself that you cannot possibly know everything, nor can anybody else possibly know everything.

If we begin with that mindset, then that open our minds to new possibilities. New possibilities lead to better outcomes. And better outcomes are something we all strive for, right?

Keep your eyes and ears open all the time. Watch for subtle nuances. The way somebody moves. The inflection in somebody's voice. You may garner a whole new understanding of something that had never occurred to you before.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

The Relevance of Sunk Cost and Opportunity Cost to Learning

When I grew up, my mother told me about this club. It was a ritzy club that had very exclusive, prestigious members. It was praised by the masses as something that everybody wanted to be in. Every day, she would encourage me to do everything I could to join. Fortunately, membership had a relatively low barrier of entry, but it required an ongoing activity. One that would be the death of me, but my mother assured me it was worth it. The name of the club?

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.