Skip to main content

Memory Studies: A Thousand Foot Overview

This is a big topic that I feel merits two separate posts for now. I might even revisit this topic again in the future. For now, the first part will cover a very, very high level discussion on memory studies, and the next blog post will cover why these memory studies are critical in thinking through marketing strategies.


(Before jumping in, I’d like to share that a lot of this material came from Dr. Anthony Le Donne’s book, Historical Jesus: What Can We Know and How We Can Know It. While some of the material is directed at Historical Jesus studies, his summaries on memory are absolutely excellent and well worth reading.)

So I want to open this post by debunking a seemingly obvious myth and our first big point: Memory is not an objective input-output system.

To use an analogy, I frequently begin writing my blog posts in Microsoft Word so that if I need to step away, I can save and come back to it at a later point. When I re-open the saved document, everything shows up just how I saved it in the first place.

That is NOT at all how memory works. Memory is largely colored by our experiences and newly gained knowledge from other, possibly even wholly unrelated things. If Microsoft Word documents reflected memory, you might open a saved document to see that font has changed, certain words have been bolded or underlined, content created or deleted, and far, far more. What we can know for sure is that it will not look the same.

You can probably think of many instances in which the way you perceive things change over time. Children do this all the time. One of the first spherical objects a kid learns about is a ball, so it’s not atypical for a kid to refer to everything as a ball. That child will learn over time that there are differences between basketballs, soccer balls and golf balls. The kid will also learn that other non-spherical shapes may also be referred to as balls, like footballs. And other spherical things, like the sun, aren’t balls at all!

In the analogy above, you can also see how the mind likes to categorize things and how that categorization evolved over time. Things started out as balls and evolved into categories of sports balls, categories of spherical shapes that aren’t sports balls, and categories of balls that you still play sports with but aren’t spherical.

Which brings us to a second big point: Our minds classify and recognize things from already-established categories, and those categories themselves can evolve over time. Aside from just balls, our minds categorize everything. Food, animals, books, abstract ideas, feelings, and yes, people.

Some folks have figured out that they can interestingly use this idea of categorization and relational thinking into memorizing other obscure things like the precise order of a 52 card deck or serial number. Check out the YouTube video below:


I covered some huge ideas here, and I can think of a clean way to tie up these ideas in a nice little knot. This single post doesn’t do them justice. My next post will cover how these ideas in conjunction with my recently written post on trust are important to the principles of marketing. Check back here in a day or so for that!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.