Skip to main content

Memory Studies: Relevance to Marketing

In the previous post, we covered a super high level understanding of memory studies and ended that post with the fact that we can take advantage of memory categories so much that we can manipulate our memories to memorize obscure sequences of information (e.g. decks of shuffled cards).

So, now that we have covered that, we can move on to why this is important to marketing!

To very briefly recap from that last post, our minds like to categorize stuff into things of like nature. Being the middle of September, we are now segueing into the season of autumn. When you think of autumn, you might immediately have some feelings and items that pop into your head. When I think of autumn, I think of the following things:

- Cool weather
- Warm hoodies
- Changing color of leaves on trees
- Dust from harvested corn fields
- Fun times at the pumpkin patch with friends
- Pumpkin spice lattes (because I'm basic)
- And way more!

I would categorize that list of things above in a positive light, so it's not a stretch at all to say I like all things that are associated with autumn.

This is crucial to understand with marketing because marketers need to establish their product or service within another category of positivity within the everybody's minds.

And if you think about it, the biggest brands out there today do this on a regular basis. Coca-Cola commercials want you associate Coca-Cola to good times with friends on a hot summer day. Charmin wants you to associate their toilet paper with ideas of softness and cuddliness, hence the friendly bears. Even Mountain Dew with their crazy Puppy Monkey Baby commercial wants you to associate them with crazy, off the wall things.

This sort of marketing concept extends beyond even trying to sell a product or service. It falls right in line with marketing ourselves in our workplaces. If we want to sell our leaders on the idea that we're good for a role bigger than the one we have today, then we have craft our behavior in a way that aligns with what a leader expects out of that role.

Back to marketing products and services, there is another thing we need to keep in mind. The general public's mind and attitude toward things changes over time.

Car advertisements are the biggest reflection of this. In the later half of the 20th century, car advertisements focused on the utility and function of their advertised vehicle. In modern times, society as a whole is much more focused on being in tune with our feelings, and modern car advertisements are a reflection of this. Instead of placing an emphasis on utility and function, car ads focus more on how cool or fun or comfortable it is to drive a certain vehicle.

So the next time you think about marketing your product,  don't focus on the nitty gritty details. Like Steve Jobs with the original iPod, nobody cares about MP3 formats or this many gigabytes. They are care about 1,000 songs in your pocket. These ideas are much more likely to stick than the ones lining out all the details.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack