Skip to main content

Five Fun Ways to Build Your Relationship

If you've caught on by now, I try to do at least one of these "Top 5" style posts each week, and I've focused a lot on important things to increase your business life. But equally as important is to ensure you have a good relationship with your significant other. Arguably, this is the most important top 5 I've written so far. Careers will morph and change over time, but, assumingly, you'll be with the same person the rest of your life, even well beyond the end of your career.

Plus, this isn't meant to be a chore. It's supposed to be fun!


1. Play board games or card games together. I think this has really become a lost art in the day and age of things like cable TV, Netflix, and video games. Don't get me wrong, I really like playing video games with my wife, but there's something different about tabletop games. Maybe it's the fact that you have to face each other instead of both facing a screen. I don't know. Anyway, some of our favorite games include Skip-Bo, Yahtzee, Mastermind, and more. All those can be found pretty dang cheap at places like Target or Toys R Us. Pop on some light, fun music in the background and get your poker face on.

2. Eat comfort food together. Fancy dinners are nice, but there's a time and place for everything. Instead of putting on your finest pearls, throw on your favorite hoodie and get some of your favorite chow. My wife and I have a soft spot for Monical's Pizza. Pleaser for two, 14" pizza with all pepperoni and half mushroom, and five breadsticks with cheddar and marinara dipping sauces. I could recite that in my sleep. It never gets old, and it's one of the things I look forward to doing most with my wife.

3. Small things can be the best things. A few weeks back at the gas station, I noticed that Reese's had a new product on their shelves: Reese's Peanut Butter Cups with Reese's Pieces in the middle. My wife and I thought it was a ridiculously hilarious idea, but there was no way we were going to spend the $3 it cost to try them. Flash forward to yesterday. Lo and behold, those same Reese's were Reese's Pieces were on clearance for $1. (Who could have seen that coming??) So I bought a pack for each of us to try these mysterious cups. We had a good laugh about it.

(If you're curious, they had the exact same taste and almost the same texture as the regular cups, except there were a few bits of candy shell in there. I want to meet the guy who pitched that idea...)

4. Get out of town for the day. Just like there's a time and place for fancy dinners, not all out-of-town trips have to have a major purpose in mind. My wife and I like to make the occasional trip up to the Chicago suburbs, specifically Bolingbrook, Naperville, and Oakbrook. Places we like to visit include downtown Naperville, the Oakbrook Mall, IKEA, and we would be remiss if we didn't get some Chicago-style pizza at Lou Malnati's. (Pizza is kind of a big deal in our home.)

5. Visit a pumpkin patch together. Obviously a fall-exclusive activity, this is totally relevant for the time in which this post is written. Cool air, warm hoodies, kettle corn, fun knick knacks, hay rides, corn mazes, and pumpkin spice lattes. I love the fall, and visiting the pumpkin patch is a staple in our household. If you live in Bloomington like we do, check out Rader Family Farms. Definitely worth the trip!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack