Skip to main content

Top 5 Tips to Optimize Your Time

I don't know about the rest of you, but I like to maximize the value of my time since that is one thing money can never buy more of! My favorite phrase around our house lately has been "There just aren't enough hours in the day!"

I have found over the years that there are indeed tips to maximize the value of your time! This is how I was able to balance getting a Master's degree, having a full time job, serving in the church, and spending time with my wife all without going insane every single day.

1. Multitask during your workouts. Hands down, this is the biggest tip I can offer to you, in my opinion. Read while on the exercise bike. Watch videos on the elliptical or treadmill. Listen to podcasts while lifting weights or running outside. You can pretty much multitask every workout, and this was my biggest help when I was studying for my Master's degree.

2. Sit down at the beginning of each week and plan out all regular tasks. And when I mean all regular tasks, I mean ALL regular tasks. Meals, workouts, when to pay specific bills, mowing the lawn, doing the laundry. Heck, I literally plan out what I'm going to wear to work each day of the week. (The screenshot below is proof!) Typically when you go about your week, your mind is thinking about other things, so you may not realize how much time you waste trying to think about what's currently on your mind and, for example, trying to remember if you wore that outfit last week. I have multiple lists created within the default Reminders app on your iPhone. Find whatever system works best for you and stick to it!



3. Create an electronic, synchronized family calendar. This has been a HUGE help to my wife and me since it feels like we have things going on all the time. I have it setup between our iPhones. How it works is that she can add an event to the family calendar, and my phone receives a little notification that it was added (works vice versa, too). Then, I can go back at any time to look and see if we're booked any day. Granted, it is possible for a family to have a physical calendar to write stuff down on, but I find this process is so, so, soooooo much easier and convenient. (Plus, you can't whip out a physical calendar at any time like you can with a smartphone!) I expect most of you have smartphones, so get this setup for your family.

Bonus tip: We have a similar sort of deal setup for a grocery list. Synchronize any list you want!

4. Explore the idea of digital media instead of physical media (specifically with books). This tip may not be for everybody, but if you find yourself technologically inclined, I would definitely recommend it. Aside from the fact that they were cheaper, I found in my Master's program that I found much more value in having electronic textbooks instead of physical ones. If I ever found myself in something like the waiting room of any business, I could just pull out my phone and get some reading done instead of sitting there doing nothing. I still do the same even though I'm no longer in school anymore. The same can really be said of movies, music, and more. Books are probably the most divisive amongst people, but I almost always go digital instead of physical anymore.

5. Don't waste your time trying to think about something if your mind is currently blocked. Probably not a surprise to you, I don't write these blog posts in one sitting. Just like my "Fashion" task list, I note down topics I may want to cover in future blog posts and then may jot down additional notes on heavier topics. But there are also times were I get halfway through writing one of these posts and get writer's block. I have learned that it is almost impossible to squeeze productivity out of any person when their mind is like this, so it's a waste of time to sit there trying to do so. Instead, I suggest going and doing something else. I usually find that inspiration will hit me when doing something else and then come back to finish these posts.

So there you have it. What ways do you optimize your time? I'm always interested in hearing what works best for others!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack