Skip to main content

Top 5 Tips on Using the Web to Learn a New Skill

While I haven't been very vocal about it (yet) on the blog, I began teaching myself graphic design about a month ago now. Aside from the cost of having Adobe Creative Cloud, I have spent exactly $1 on actually training myself on these tools. Using the internet, I've been able to teach myself such things as creating this low-poly self portrait:


It's not perfect, but given that I was able to create that after only having had two weeks of training in Adobe Illustrator, I'm still pretty happy with the results.

Aside from graphic design, free (or nearly free) content online has helped me to build skills in project management, agile development, marketing, and much more. But because it's kind of a "Wild West" out there since anybody can post anything out there, I wanted to share some tips that I have found helpful in my endeavors.

1. Become proficient at really using Google search to its max capabilities. As smart as Google can be with anything you throw at it, it is much better at returning more relevant results if you throw better inputs into it. This means thinking through better keywords, omitting words that may spin Google off into an undesired tangent, using quotations around words to find specific phrases, narrowing results by date so you're getting the latest and greatest info, and more. I just did a very quick search and found this blog post that recommends tips for advanced search. It seems legit, so check it out.

2. If a particular website seems sketchy, get out of there and move on. What I mean by this is that you're going to come across a lot of bad information, so my recommendation is to spend literally only seconds on a website when combing for new information. If you have a bad feeling that they don't know what they're talking about, move on. Don't waste your time. You're gonna run into this a LOT.

3. Buddy up to your old pal, YouTube. I love YouTube. 95% of the stuff I've taught myself came from videos on there. You can generally gauge if a particular video is going to good or not based on number of views and the thumbs up to thumbs down ratio. If you're on a desktop or laptop, you can also watch videos at 1.5x or 2x speed. (And folks who work at YouTube - if you're reading this, PLEASE bring this feature to mobile!!!) In learning Adobe Illustrator, I watched this video playlist that contained literally over one hundred 5-8 minute videos which helped me arguably better than if I would have paid for something like a community college course.

4. Take advantage of trial offers on paid tutorial websites. So you're probably wondering where I spent that aforementioned $1. Paid tutorial sites, like Lynda or Coursera, do offer valuable content, but I tend not to use them because, well, I'm cheap. (And I find a lot of great free content out there.) But you may really be itching to learn something that you can't find for free out there. For me, I noticed the website, Skillshare.com, had a couple exclusive classes taught by renowned designer Aaron Draplin that I just had to take, and instead of paying the full monthly fee, I found a promo code to use Skillshare for 3 months for only $1. Definitely glad I did so, so I'd advise you might want to check out something similar.

5. Don't narrow yourself to a single site or source of information. I mentioned above that there was a particular YouTube video playlist that helped me out tremendously, but I'm glad I expanded my sights beyond those videos. While like 95% of those videos were really solid, I found other videos from other sources that were way better than the remaining 5%. The end result was the same, but I found these videos found much better ways of doing things, cutting out even half the steps sometimes. Nobody is perfect, so while you might find one source offers a lot of great info, I'd still encourage you to look beyond at what other people are sharing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.