Skip to main content

The Value of Internalizing Things

You might be surprised to learn that a big influencer in my life has been none other than comedian Adam Carolla. I'm an avid listener of almost all the Carolla Digital podcasts, including the titular Adam Carolla Show.

Even though he is a comedian, he shares a lot of personal views that have resonated a lot with me, and I largely attribute my drive to lose weight to his, for lack of better word, teachings.


For those of you unaware of his background, Carolla grew up in a low income home with divorced parents who could care less about what he did with his life. (Even illustrated by the fact that they were too lazy to give him a middle name. Seriously.) He spent his 20s and early 30s working construction and carpentry and worked hard on the side via things like the Groundlings to build himself a name in comedy. For somebody who didn't have any support system to help build himself up, he's gone on to do well for himself, which I respect a lot.

Anyway, one of the things Carolla touts is this idea of internalizing things over externalizing them. In other words, instead of looking to blame something or somebody else for some event, look within yourself to see what you can make better about yourself.

Unfortunately, I think this is an under emphasized point. I'm not saying that we should internalize absolutely everything, but there's not really a value in externalizing everything. The fact of the matter is we can only control one person: ourselves. Expecting somebody else to change is a pretty tall order.

Additionally, you might find that you're capable of much more than you ever expected. For me, I never thought I'd be able to lose the weight, and I especially never thought running would be the way I lost weight. Even at my most fit in high school, I was never that great of a runner. This time last year, I ran my first official half marathon at roughly 10 minutes per mile. This coming weekend, I am set to run my next half marathon, and my current practice pace is 6:30 per mile. I'd really love to win this race, but I suppose we'll just have to see.

I genuinely hope that is an encouragement to you. Ask yourself, also, how satisfied you were when you successfully got somebody to change for your own benefit. Chances are you probably weren't. I know people who have used these exact words: "I thought it would make me feel better, but it didn't."

I think there's something ingrained within each and every one of us that draws satisfaction by benefitting from the sweat of our own brow. It's the same reason the kid who saved his money all summer to by a game console will value it infinitely more than a spoiled teenager freely given a brand new Mustang. And why lottery winners mostly end up living lives of misery.

My challenge to you is to look at your own life. In what ways have you blamed somebody else for your position? Maybe it's time for you to grab the wheel and take life into your own hands.

I think you'd be glad you did it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack