Skip to main content

Key Competency #11: A Sense of Urgency

Ten years ago...

Barack Obama was not a president yet.
MySpace was the most popular social platform.
Smartphones were just on the horizon, and tablets and smartwatches didn't exist.
CDs were still the primary way you listened to music.
Netflix's core business was shipping DVDs with VOD only in its very early infancy.

That was all only ten years ago.


On a personal level, I was still in high school. Now, I have a Master's degree, a full time job, a house, a wife, and a daughter.

It's crazy to think how fast time can go. In the blink of an eye, the world can change around us in an instant. It might seem like a slow burn over time, but when we stop to think what has changed just over the course of a few years, it's mind blowing how fast time truly moves.

It doesn't surprise me, then, that today's leaders are always on the move. They have this sense of urgency that propels them to put out as much great, quality work as they possibly can. I like to use Elon Musk as an example because of his profound contributions across not just one industry but across three: automotive, aeronautics, and energy. Does this guy ever sleep?

The reality is that we all have a date, and we don't know what that date is. Of course, I'm speaking about our death date. For many of us, that is a still good ways out, but the reality is that our date could very easily be tomorrow. We are all one bad car wreck away from becoming road pizza, as Mr. Wonderful would call it.

To that end, the Elon Musks of the world are doing as much as they can today knowing that tomorrow is not a promise. If you want to keep up with these guys, then, well... you're going to have to keep up with these guys. I don't know any other way to say it. A sense of urgency is a real part of most leaders' lives in our modern western society.

I don't know about you, but I feel that sense of urgency every day. I'm 27 years old, and as much as has changed in my life in the past decade, I feel like I've wasted so much of my 20s that I'm now making up for it before I turn 30. And it freaks me out to see just how fast the last two years have gone. I like to joke with my wife that I'm going to blink and our baby girl is going to be getting married. (And then I start melodramatically singing that 90s Christian wedding song "Butterfly Kisses.")

But the reality is that it's not a joke: that's how I actually feel.


Anyway, do you agree with the sentiments shared here? Should we take more time to stop and smell the roses? I'm interested to hear what you all think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.