Skip to main content

Beware the Grammar Police

We all know those folks. The people who persistently point out where a comma was misplaced, where a word was misspelled, and where something wasn't properly capitalized. Mistakes happen, and spelling / grammar is definitely important.

But when a person takes it upon themselves to start correcting these minor mistakes, there is a much deeper problem going on.
It doesn't matter what position you work in, people will fight to remain relevant in any way that they can. Some go out of their way to devise excellent business strategies. These are folks who are constantly providing value to the organization.

The problem with grammar police is that they are seeking to provide value in one way because they cannot (or choose not) to provide value another way. Their way of "providing value" is correcting minor mistakes because as trivial as they are, they do need corrected. The second that "feedback" comes in the form of grammatical updates is when you know that person has nothing else to offer.

So avoid them if you can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Review: FRAMES Part 1 - 20 and Something

It should come as no surprise to you that I'm struggling to see how the church (or faith) as a whole can do a better job at connecting with our postmodern society. In an attempt to eliminate the word "can't" from my vocabulary, I am doing what I can to contribute to a new movement to help re-integrate or re-introduce faith to folks. To that end, I reached out to some people in the church about literature regarding this, and there sadly isn't much. However, there is still some. In particular, I was recommended to check out this series of books called FRAMES. This series of nine books analyzes different topics regarding modern society in short, concise books. Books that contain a lot of information portrayed in neat graphical forms.

Review: Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss

If you have a close eye, you'll notice that I've peppered in Tim Ferriss's name throughout many of my posts on this blog. I'm a big fan of his podcast, the aptly name The Tim Ferriss Show , as he sits down one-on-one with experts in each industry. Some of my favorite episodes include his interviews with Seth Godin and Sophia Amoruso. If you enjoy podcasting, check out that show. But enough with podcasting, we're here to talk about a book! Specifically, we're here to talk about Tim Ferriss's latest release, Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers . You might be surprised to learn that this is the first of Ferriss's books I have read. I know he's famous for his other "Four-Hour" books, especially The Four-Hour Workweek , but I just haven't gotten around to reading them. Being an avid enthusiast of his podcast, you might be curious what I thought of his book, especially g...

The Future of Business

Back in the day, if you wanted to publish a book, you had to sign a deal with the book publisher. The book publisher would then work with bookstores, who would ultimately sell the book to the consumer. That book would get lost in a sea of other books, so the probability of somebody finding the book you wrote was really, really low. Even if they did discover your book, the bookstore and book publisher gets a cut of that revenue before you do. That's all different now.

The Relevance of Sunk Cost and Opportunity Cost to Learning

When I grew up, my mother told me about this club. It was a ritzy club that had very exclusive, prestigious members. It was praised by the masses as something that everybody wanted to be in. Every day, she would encourage me to do everything I could to join. Fortunately, membership had a relatively low barrier of entry, but it required an ongoing activity. One that would be the death of me, but my mother assured me it was worth it. The name of the club?