Skip to main content

Fashion's Importance to Business

Spoiler alert: This post is probably going to come across as super pretentious, but I still write it because I believe every single word. I'm also not going to lie about the fact that fashion is super interesting to me. One of my favorite movies of all time is The Devil Wears Prada, and I'm such a regular at Express that I ought to be sponsored by them. If I had the money, I'd probably go shopping on a very regular basis. (My wife would tell you I already do more than enough shopping for the both of us!)

Regardless of my personal preference, fashion holds a high importance in the business world. Just think through this exercise: Think about this term: big business. What do you think about when you think "big business"? My guess is that you think about a white, middle- to late-aged chubby man in a loose fitting black or dark navy suit. With a comb over.

The reality is that the clothes we wear speak volumes about ourselves, and I don't think at all that is a racist or stereotypical mentality. Nobody is forcing us to wear this or that. It's our choice. Even Hollywood, who is super down on racism / stereotypes, is very meticulous about ensuring what a character wears matches the nature of that character. Pick any five movies at random, and I guarantee you'll find this is the case.

So, how's this figure into modern day business?

Lax dress codes have changed standards across the board in every industry. Men used to wear button up shirts and slacks; ladies used to wear blouses and long skirts. Period. But that's different now. Are there men and women that still adhere to that standard? Yes, but they only account for one group of people. Some people dress in trendy, modern ways. Others I've worked with will literally wear a wolf t-shirt and jeans to work.

Have you heard the phrase "Dress for the job you want, not the job you have"? I think that is only partly true these days. I personally think you need to dress for the context that is most appropriate. To that end, I'm very intentional about what I wear to work, even specific to the day of the week. I do a roughly 50/50 split between dressing business casual and my attempt to be trendy. (And, on Fridays, I admittedly get lazy and wear whatever in what I like to call "Casual Fri-Dave".)

Honestly, I think this is an important factor to consider even for people well along in their career. Of course, you want to dress appropriate to your age, but I think a guy wearing that traditional "big business" garb wouldn't fare well in a Google-like environment where people dress more casually. That person would be automatically judged by what they wear, and their actions would be scrutinized through that biased lens.

I know, I know, you're probably thinking this is childish and outdated thinking, but it exists. Boy howdy does it exist. I personally don't have a problem with it since I enjoy a diversified wardrobe, but for those who don't want to accept this reality, I honestly think this is one of those things that just isn't worth fighting. If there are crosses to die on, this one isn't it. There are bigger fish to fry. (Insert other metaphors about not placing an importance on combating this topic.)

That's it for this post. I'm mulling over writing another post about how I specifically diversify my wardrobe, but... I don't know. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. Anyway, hope you enjoyed this post and enjoy your weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.