Skip to main content

My Five Eating Danger Zones

Ever since finishing Mindless Eating, I've been hyper-aware of the environments and situations in which I eat. One of the points in that book is that its not that we are unaware of the nutritional choices we make but more so that our emotional side kicks in and takes over regardless of hunger or health.

Think about the Rider / Elephant metaphor from the Heath brothers' book, Switch. Our logical side (the Rider) is well aware a donut is not a healthy choice, and its easy to tell ourselves not to eat a donut when they're not around. But then, you have a coworker bring in a box of Krispy Kremes, and your emotional side (the Elephant) says it's game on. Despite the fact that we know the donut is bad for us, we don't care and scarf down five of them.

(Okay, maybe five is an exaggeration for most people, but... well... that's not an exaggeration for me. 😌)

That said, I thought I'd share my five biggest "danger zones" as a means for you to think through what your own danger zones are. I'll come back in another post and talk about strategies to mitigate those danger zones.

1. The office. Easily my biggest danger zone. Easily. A coworker brings in a box of donuts? I'm there. A team is celebrating an accomplishment with lunch? Count me in. Those peanut butter M&Ms in the vending machine? Calling my name. Without a doubt, this is the place where I mindlessly eat most often. After all, it's not like free food is appearing in my house on a regular basis. I definitely suspect you all can relate with me here!

2. Mornings when I serve at church. I serve on the Tech Team at Eastview Christian Church once or twice a month, and as a thanks for serving, they provide breakfast for us volunteers. Donuts before services begin and a full hot breakfast in between services. I'm talking full on breakfasts. I am super grateful for this gesture but have found myself over indulging at times. Like if we're having breakfast pizza and I go back later to find lots of lefties, I will definitely snag a couple extra slices. It's an epidemic!

3. Family get-togethers. Whether it's celebrating a birthday, enjoying a Thanksgiving feast, or simply just hanging out, food is always in abundance. And I. Lack. Self control. My mom has gigantic dinner plates, and you know I'm filling every square inch of that thing. Nothing is safe when I'm around! I always feel miserable driving home because I never know when to stop.

4. At restaurants with friends. When you go out with friends, you obviously go because you want to enjoy their company, and I just don't feel right sticking around, hogging a table, just to extend that time with them. To that end, I'm always ordering extras. More appetizers. More chips and salsa. And how about some dessert? Wait staff have to love guys like me.

5. Long car trips. I'm a weirdo that love gas stations and truck stops. When my wife and I went to Carbondale a few weeks back, I got stupidly excited when I saw the variety of snacks this one particular gas station had. (There's such thing as a CHERRY Sprite Zero?) When I'm driving on the road, all I can do is think about eating. And because eating is one of the few things I can do while driving, that's what ends up happening.

What are your danger zones? Could you relate to any of the ones I shared? I'm already adopting some strategies to help myself out, so look forward to that post in the future!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.