Skip to main content

Why Neither of My Blogs Use My Name in Their Titles

If you’ve read my very first post on this blog, you’ll know that I actually attempted to start blogging a couple times prior to establishing this blog (and my other blog) but ultimately shut them down because I viewed them as failures. Failures because they didn’t get the views I was hoping for. And that’s why they failed so quickly: I was in it for the views, not to promote some sort of cause or idea.

What I didn’t explain in that post was why I chose a name that was not my own. Most people have blogs under their own name, and actually, my first two attempts were done under my name. I still own the URL rights to www.dkhundley.com because A) I never know if I’ll want to use it again in the future and B) It only costs me $12 a year to sit on it. If you try going there, all you’ll get is a simple, poorly maintained Wix-based site.

Anyway, my choice to give my blogs names that don’t have any variant of “David Hundley” in them was very intentional. It’s my way of saying that this blog is not about me. It’s not to promote me, nor will I ever do something only for views.

I’m pretty honest with the ultimate goal of both my blogs: I hope you’ll come for the content that helps you and stick around to read the posts about faith. Aside from directly serving in a church (which I do), I see my blogs as a way to help connect folks to a re-imagining of faith that you might see as outdated or irrelevant. If you come to my blogs just for the content you like and skip the faith posts, it’ll disappoint me, but I do genuinely hope you find benefit in all the content I share.

Don’t get me wrong though: I’m still going to promote this blog. Just because I’m not in it for views alone doesn’t mean I’m not going to promote the content. I want to help you, and I really do hope everything I have to share does just that. So, making the choice not promote this blog would be a disservice to you. (And as douchey as that sounds, I say that in the most humble way possible.)

In the spirit of transparency, I do see value for personal gain from this blog, too. I have used it as a means to show people that I am constantly developing myself and show my willingness to help others. But here’s the thing even with that: I don’t mention views. Mostly because it’s not necessary, but also because I have very low views. (They’re climbing but at a rate that a snail could easily outpace.)

I’m so concerned about transparency that I have shared every single way I promote these blogs. As a reminder, here’s what I do:
  • I post 3-5 times a week on this blog and 1-3 times on the other. Those limits are self-imposed so I don't go insane.
  • I tweet once and only once per post, and I use three or four hashtags I think are relevant. I never retweet nor favorite myself. Even that time when MKBHD retweeted me and drove over 5,000 views to one of my posts, I still didn't retweet that post. (Oh, and sometimes I use pretty pictures!)
  • Twitter bots that comb through users and follow anybody / everybody in the hopes for a follow back absolutely disgust me. You will never, ever find me using them.
  • I post once a week to LinkedIn with a specially created graphic to correspond to the post, and I use a handful of hashtags there when I post the article.
  • Mostly for my other blog, I do sometimes use my personal Instagram account to share some new post. (And only once each time.) Oh, and more hashtags.
  • I don't promote at all via Facebook or Snapchat since I don't have accounts with either.
  • Only twice ever have I posted to a forum within the company I work for, and I was very, very cautious about that. Not sure that will ever be a regular practice.
So yeah... that's all I wanted to share today. I ran into some recent circumstances that made me feel the need to reiterate this thought, so I'm sorry if you were hoping for something better! I'll be back tomorrow with my review of Mindless Eating. Come back to check it out! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack