Skip to main content

Always Learning

Have you ever read something or been told something that hits you so hard that it virtually stops you in your tracks? Unable to write, speak, or even think?

My mouthy self has spoken for eight months now on this blog, and not once has something hit me so hard as it did yesterday. The reason I'm able to continuously churn out content is because I believe wholeheartedly that, opinion pieces aside, what I have to say is true. And I've come across a lot of truth in things like books, podcasts, and videos.

But there's something I've semi-unknowingly buried. And yesterday, it hit me like a ton of bricks.
I write a lot about change, leadership competencies, and doing great work in everything you do. All that stuff is still true, but there's a bit of a personal hypocrisy to it. As much as I talk about doing good work, I haven't practiced what I talk about in terms of this blog.

It hit me when I was reading the sales copy for a robust online course on starting your own online business. Now, I'm not unhappy at all with my job, but there has always been an itch in the back of my mind of wondering, "How can I help the most amount of people in a meaningful way?"

I did scratch that itch... to an extent. After all, this blog exists. But I have been intentional about tamping down how much self promotion I do in the name of humility. If I'm being really honest... that's not the full story. In fact, that's a smaller part of the story. The honest truth is that I'm scared. I do genuinely want to help people, and it freaks me out to do anything that might even remotely betray your trust.

As I was going through that aforementioned sales copy, I saw things that struck a direct chord with me. Notably, the instructor used the word "wantrepreneurship". Wantrepreneurship is when folks (admittedly like me) talk a big talk about ideas that promote self-promotion and entrepreneurship but never actually follow through with any of those ideas. He even specifically noted these people would pat themselves on their backs by reading the works of Seth Godin.

Ouch.

That's me all the way.

He wasn't at all belittling Seth Godin, but he basically said that reading Godin's work, verbally promoting Godin's work, and not doing what Godin shares is hypocrisy.

I honestly don't know how this is going to affect my future work, but I wanted to share this with you all as a reminder that we constantly learn new things. Even if we're on a good track in one aspect, we can instantly be derailed by new information or a new understanding.

So, let's end this post by hitting some quick bullets on how to ensure we are constantly keeping ourselves in check to keep growing:
  • Be brutally honest with yourself. We all like to be optimistic about our actions or our attitudes, but optimism doesn't always reflect reality. True optimism recognizes faults and says "Yes, I can be better."
  • Constantly look for underlying assumptions. Best answered by asking the question why. Why is your best friend. (Ramit Sethi refers to these things as "invisible scripts". Google that and learn from him.)
  • Remember that tools are not solutions. Tools can be good means to solutions, but you should start with what you are truly seeking to accomplish. Saying you need a Twitter account for your business is only important if you know what you want to accomplish with that Twitter account.
  • Build empathy. Understanding the thoughts of others often helps to guide our own thoughts.
We could definitely go on, but we'll end it here for now. Keep learning, friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack