Skip to main content

The Importance of Building Trust

"I thought I knew him."
"I never would have expected it was her all along."

How many of you have said some variation of those phrases above? You may even recall thinking that thought multiple times.

For better or worse, our minds categorize things into categories of familiarity. Whenever we see a glass filled with some sort of liquid, we instantly recognize it as some sort of consumable beverage. If that liquid is a translucent amber color, we may recognize that as some sort of apple juice or beer.

This is why first impressions are such a big deal. When we meet somebody, our minds form a picture about that person based on their behavior, body language, apparel, and more that is so strong that it takes weeks or even months for that person to re-influence the way we think about them. (Which is why we need to be mindful of the symbols we surround ourselves with.)

When it comes to business or life matters in general, there are two high level ideas we need to keep in mind.

First, trust is earned by consistency of character over a long period of time.

One big purpose in me starting this blog is to establish trust with my peers in a way that I could not before. Sure, I have social media profiles like Twitter and LinkedIn, but neither of those display my character as somebody whose opinion you'd trust when it comes to business matters.

I am fully aware that it may take a very long time for some of you to trust me, and some of you may never trust me. I can't let those thoughts deter me from trying, though, or else I'll never gain anybody's trust.

The second idea is that trust, even one built up over years, can be lost literally overnight.

Ask Bill Cosby about this one.

For decades, Bill Cosby was looked at in a favorable light. He was a good citizen in the eyes of his peers. Not to downplay his crimes at all, but he arguably helped infinitely more people than he harmed over the years.

When news of his crimes started coming out, that trust he built up over decades vanished. Vanished to the point that Cosby will probably never get his reputation back.

Same with that dentist that shot Cecil the lion. We, as the general public, don't really know what he was like prior to the lion incident, but what we do know is that that single incident that took place over a mere few hours irrevocably damaged his reputation for the rest of his life.

So I come back to a point I've stressed in this blog a number of times now: what story are you telling? Are the symbols you surround yourself with consistent with your character? Are there skeletons in your closet that could come back to haunt you one day?

For you young professionals like myself, ask yourself those questions early and often. Especially in the age where everything gets plastered and stored online forever, the actions we take today may yet come back to bite us in twenty years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack