Skip to main content

The Debt of Fear

When you think about fear, you mind might jump to the things most people are willing to admit. Spiders, snakes, heights. These are things people are willing to admit easily because they are consistent amongst most people and don’t reveal the real nature of our core being.

But what about dying alone?
Not being respected by your coworkers?
Difficulty losing weight?
Being hated by a family member?
Not knowing if God exists?


It’s no surprise to anybody why these fears are not tossed out during icebreaker conversations at a work outing. They’re embarrassing and bring shame to ourselves. Many of us don’t even like to think about them in the quiet of our own minds. Some try to drown out the fears in other activities like drugs, alcohol, or even non-vice-like things like playing too many video games or trying to coach somebody else through their “lesser” fears.

I recently came to a realization that may seem obvious after you read it, but it has rewired many of my thoughts recently: we can’t afford NOT to face our fears.

The thing about fear is that the fear of failing to overcome those fears often trumps our willingness to act toward overcoming those fears. In other words, a fear of fear itself paralyzes us from making ourselves better.

But ask yourselves this question: what do you truly stand to lose? Is the way in which your fear is plaguing you not worth doing everything you can to overcome that?

I’ll illustrate with one of my own fears. I shared briefly in this blog’s introductory post that this is my third attempt at a blog like this because I am afraid people are either going to think I’m dumb or naïve or simply not care about what I have to say. From this, I had two choices I could make.


  1. Restart the blog and check my own ego at the door
  2. Never restart the blog and always wonder what could have been

For the longest time, I went with option 2. But my fear ate at me. What am I leaving on the table? Possibly more importantly, what would I be doing with the time I have available now that my Master’s degree is done? I’d probably just wallow in self-pity, always wondering what could have been.

From another perspective, what’s the worst that could happen? Really, it’s next to nothing. I’m out the $12 I spent on the domain name and may only reach a cap of 3 readers. If anything, I’m still in the positive because at least I tried, and I won’t have to spend time wondering what could have been.


What’s stopping you from facing your fears? Will not facing your fears be more detrimental to you in the long run if you never even tried at all to overcome them? You might find, like me, that trying, at the very least, is better than not trying at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.