Skip to main content

Why You Should Care About Your Work


"I can't wait to retire someday."

That phrase has never sat well with me.

Now, I'm not a numbers guy, but I think in this case, numbers make a big impact. The life expectancy of the average person is 80 years old. If we assume that the average person enters the full time workforce at age 22 (when people typically exit undergrad) and retires at age 62 (according to an online source), then that's precisely 40 years of full time work. Roughly half a person's life.

Let's extrapolate this further to get a more accurate reading. The average number of business days in a single year is 260 days, and the average employee spends 8 hours a day at work. That works out to 2,080 hours out of a total 8,760 hours in a year or, in other words, 23.7% of the year. Of course, we should probably only account for waking hours since the average person sleeps 8 hours a night. That leaves us with a total of 5,840 waking hours, at which point the percentage of hours worked in a year climbs to 35.6%.

Okay, we're getting close to the end of these numbers! If we continue with the assumption that the average person works 40 years, only account for waking hours, and roll with that 35.6% number of hours worked per year, that means that... drumroll please...

The average person spends 17.8% of his or her life working. That's pretty darned close to one fifth of their life.

When I hear a person say they can't wait for retirement, all I hear is that they can't wait to throw away one fifth of their life to get to... what? Playing golf? Spending time with family? Those aren't bad things, but I wouldn't want to throw a fifth of my life in the trash to get there. Moreover, one fifth only accounts for actual time spent working. We already determined that the average person spends half their life in the workforce, so really, those people who can't wait to get to retirement are really saying they're okay with having wasted half their life.

Now you see why this doesn't sit well with me?

Life isn't a contest. You don't work in hopes of getting toward the end. The morbid reality is that the end of life is death, which I don't think anybody aspires to. Even for folks like myself who have faith in life after death, we don't treat life as if it's this bus we're just riding until it finally reaches its destination.

Instead, life is all about the journey. We do this or that because we attempt to draw meaning out of this life. And because we accept the inevitability that work is one part of this life, then why wouldn't we want to draw the most out of it? After all, we put our time and energy into things we love like our family and hobbies. Why not make the most of the one fifth of our life we spend at work?

Most people will read this and think that getting the most out of work means landing a "dream job", and because that seems impossible, most people will stop there and "settle" for the job they're in now.

Let's put that fallacy to bed now.

I work in an industry that is not the most sought after. No little boy or girl grows up thinking "I want to work in insurance!" But that doesn't stop me from loving my job. Why? Because while I do sometimes genuinely enjoy the nature of my work, what I am satisfied most with is making people happy. That doesn't even have to mean the end user. If I can make my coworkers happy by making a cool PowerPoint presentation, I do get a thrill out of that.

This principle transcends all industries. There isn't a single industry that doesn't ultimately have the goal of helping a person out in some form or fashion. So what that means is that you don't have to work in a "dream job" to be happy with work. You can make your current job a dream job by making a purposeful effort to be the best that you can be. And while your company certainly benefits from this, I'm talking more about working hard for your own sake. Basking in the satisfaction of your own hard work provides a level of gratification experienced best by you and you alone.


I hope this provides you a fresh perspective on life and work. It's never too late to choose to own your work and live it out to the fullest. The present is your opportunity to seize the day for your own satisfaction. Don't throw away that 17.8% of your life. Make it count for something that leaves a lasting legacy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beware the Grammar Police

We all know those folks. The people who persistently point out where a comma was misplaced, where a word was misspelled, and where something wasn't properly capitalized. Mistakes happen, and spelling / grammar is definitely important. But when a person takes it upon themselves to start correcting these minor mistakes, there is a much deeper problem going on.

Decision Fatigue and Five Tips to Avert It

One of the best things about living in Bloomington-Normal is the diversity of restaurant choices we have to choose from. Want one of the big chains? We've probably got it. Nice local restaurants? Yup. Italian, Chinese, American, Thai, and Indian places? Check. Ironically, one of the worst things about living in Bloomington-Normal is, you guessed it, the diversity of restaurant choices we have to choose from.

Five Undergrad Courses I Wish I Could Retake

Education is a tricky thing. Many jobs require you to learn things prior to you getting on the job, but sometimes, that education is more valued in retrospect. What is and what isn't valuable gets especially lost in four year degrees that mandate something like 130 credit hours for graduation. A college isn't going to tell you, "These classes are important, and these classes... not so much." To be fair to colleges, value is a subjective thing. What I might have found valuable might be different to somebody else. This is especially true for a more general major like mine, Business Administration. I took courses in macroeconomics, marketing, communications, finance, accounting, HR management, and more. If you go ask my fellow graduates which courses they valued the most, I bet every one of them would give you different answers. Anyway, I was reflecting back on my own undergraduate education and thinking about the classes I wish I could go retake. It's not that I...

Redeeming Rob Bell

Well, that's probably a name you heard in a while! For those of you not familiar with that name, Rob Bell was (and kind of still is?) a big name in the Christian community. He is the former megachurch founder and pastor of Mars Hill Bible Church, wrote widely read books Sex God  and Velvet Elvis , and is probably most widely known for his NOOMA video series. In 2011, Rob Bell had a big falling out with the Christian community following the release of his book, Love Wins . In that book, he contended that people would be able to accept Jesus and enter heaven after death in addition to before death, which many people misconstrued as universalism. (Which is not particularly right... but I can see why people would draw that conclusion.) Having attended a Christian school at the time, I was right in the thick of the controversy. People freaked out. Having been looked at as a Christian hero in the community for the longest time, people were floored with the sentiments shared in Love...

The Problem with Hierarchical Hiring

I browse LinkedIn pretty often, and the category of things that appears most on that main feed are inspirational quotes by inspirational leaders. Folks like Richard Branson and Simon Sinek appear most often. More specifically, the quotes have a central theme to them: companies need to hire good people.  For example, one of the latest quotes I've seen on my feed include this one from Tina Fey: "In most cases being a good boss means hiring talented people and getting out of their way." That's a great sentiment, but is that really reinforced in reality?