Skip to main content

Reader Challenge #5: Weekly Networking

A friend was telling me recently about a time when he applied for a senior-level position within his current role. While I think he would have been a great fit for the role, he wasn't given an opportunity to even interview for the position. When asking why his consideration was denied, it was purported that somebody in upper management contended that nobody knew who he was.

I'm not a fan of that philosophy because what that person was saying is "We're not going to evaluate the merits of this candidate because we don't personally know him." Isn't that the whole purpose of interviewing...?

Anyway, it brings to light a reality that pretty much everybody faces within organization: the importance of networking and relationship building. Doing good work sometimes just isn't enough. Sometimes, it is indeed about who you know.

Of course, there are many other benefits to networking aside from schmoozing for a promotion. Sometimes you get to know people in another area of the organization that can help your area's work effort. There's also the simple fact that friendships are built upon networking relationships. Regardless of your purpose, there's no doubt networking is critical to success.

To that end, it is important for us to be intentional about our relationship building. My challenge for you all is to reach out and get to know one person per week. This is definitely a longer term challenge than the other ones I've proposed, and I will definitely be working through this one myself.

Because this is an intrusive challenge, I feel the need to set some guidelines for everybody to follow:

  1. Be respectful of the person's time. If they agree to meet for an hour, don't go over that hour unless they want to extend the conversation.
  2. Understand that people will decline or not respond. It's a fact of life that people will not be interested in meeting with you. I wouldn't take that as a personal insult. Shake it off and move on.
  3. Understand the give-and-take nature of networking. You can't always expect to meet with people and only better yourself all the time. There will perhaps be times when people request things of us. Because of how gracious everybody else will be in meeting with you, it's only just to having a giving mind yourself. And speaking of being gracious...
  4. Thank the person that meets with you. Most organizations frown upon giving gifts to one another because of quid pro quo issues, so I advise against that. But there is nothing stopping you from sending a thank you note / email to that person. Show gratitude to the person that shared their time and wisdom with you.

I don't think this is going to be an easy challenge for a lot of people, including myself. Actually, I kind of underwent this challenge a few years back when I was still an intern at Country Financial. I found that most people at that time were super gracious and willing to meet with me.

Even now, though, this challenge makes me nervous. If you feel nervous, know you're not alone. This is just one of those cases where some of the best things in life are some of the most difficult to do!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack