Skip to main content

The Forgotten Prayer

Think about all the things you pray for and all the ways in which you've been told to pray. Of course, there's the Lord's Prayer. There's also the ACTS acronym of Adoration-Confession-Thanksgiving-Supplication. And for you early 2000s church folk, how could we ever forget the prayer of Jabez??


Oh yeah, those nostalgia juices are flowing now!

There's nothing inherently wrong with any of these prayers. In fact, I use the free Echo app to remind me every two hours to pray using the ACTS acronym. But as good as those prayer models are, there is something rarely called out. Something mentioned in the Bible over and over, yet we hardly ever make an explicit note of it.

That prayer is a prayer of discernment.

Discernment is called out in the Bible many, many times, and the web page behind this link will even show you 100 instances of this. Let's take a look at the first few verses listed by this site.

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether or not they are from God, for many false prophets have gone into the world. - 1 John 4:1
And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of the Lord - Philippians 1:9-10
But solid food is for the mature, for those who have the power of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil. - Hebrews 5:14

As you can see just from this small sample, the authors of the Bible certainly hold discernment in high regard. And because the Bible tends to be timeless, this certainly holds weight today. In fact, I could make a solid argument that a prayer for discernment is even more important today than it was in biblical times.

Why?

At least for us in the United States, we live in the digital age where opinion is protected by the First Amendment. That means anybody with a computer or a smartphone can share their opinion out there online. They could even create a blogging platform for themselves for free using a service like Blogger. (Hmmm.... know anybody that does that...?)

Truth certainly exists on the internet, but it gets muddied pretty quickly. This has become a huge topic recently even in the mainstream media. Heard the phrases "fake news" and "alternative facts"? Yup, people out there are recognizing that not everything on the internet is true.

Let me reiterate that truth does exist. Not everything on the internet is bad. I'll let you be the judge, but I would honestly like to think my own blogging platform aspires to be as truthful as possible in every post. I hope, at least amongst you regular readers, that I have earned your trust over these 100+ posts.

Anyway, trust is only earned after thorough discernment. Can we use logic skills to determine what is right and what is wrong? Absolutely. I think we all can agree that the Holocaust, for example, was a horrible event. But not everything is as cut-and-dried as the Holocaust. There is a lot of gray area in almost every situation, and logic skills can only take us so far.

I genuinely do believe the Lord has blessed me with a gift of discernment, and that gift has led me to where I am today. I don't think I'm the smartest person out there, and I've worked with folks that can certainly process things much more quickly than I can. I'm not a very good reader, nor did I have the best grades in high school. But I do believe God has led me to see the best truths in everything, and those truths have made me a better person because of it.

(I hope that last paragraph doesn't read as me being braggy. I promise I do not mean it to be braggy at all!)

The next time you pray, pray for discernment. Pray that the Lord guides you toward truth in this time of much information. I think you will find it will be one of the best things you can ever pray for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beware the Grammar Police

We all know those folks. The people who persistently point out where a comma was misplaced, where a word was misspelled, and where something wasn't properly capitalized. Mistakes happen, and spelling / grammar is definitely important. But when a person takes it upon themselves to start correcting these minor mistakes, there is a much deeper problem going on.

Decision Fatigue and Five Tips to Avert It

One of the best things about living in Bloomington-Normal is the diversity of restaurant choices we have to choose from. Want one of the big chains? We've probably got it. Nice local restaurants? Yup. Italian, Chinese, American, Thai, and Indian places? Check. Ironically, one of the worst things about living in Bloomington-Normal is, you guessed it, the diversity of restaurant choices we have to choose from.

Five Undergrad Courses I Wish I Could Retake

Education is a tricky thing. Many jobs require you to learn things prior to you getting on the job, but sometimes, that education is more valued in retrospect. What is and what isn't valuable gets especially lost in four year degrees that mandate something like 130 credit hours for graduation. A college isn't going to tell you, "These classes are important, and these classes... not so much." To be fair to colleges, value is a subjective thing. What I might have found valuable might be different to somebody else. This is especially true for a more general major like mine, Business Administration. I took courses in macroeconomics, marketing, communications, finance, accounting, HR management, and more. If you go ask my fellow graduates which courses they valued the most, I bet every one of them would give you different answers. Anyway, I was reflecting back on my own undergraduate education and thinking about the classes I wish I could go retake. It's not that I...

Redeeming Rob Bell

Well, that's probably a name you heard in a while! For those of you not familiar with that name, Rob Bell was (and kind of still is?) a big name in the Christian community. He is the former megachurch founder and pastor of Mars Hill Bible Church, wrote widely read books Sex God  and Velvet Elvis , and is probably most widely known for his NOOMA video series. In 2011, Rob Bell had a big falling out with the Christian community following the release of his book, Love Wins . In that book, he contended that people would be able to accept Jesus and enter heaven after death in addition to before death, which many people misconstrued as universalism. (Which is not particularly right... but I can see why people would draw that conclusion.) Having attended a Christian school at the time, I was right in the thick of the controversy. People freaked out. Having been looked at as a Christian hero in the community for the longest time, people were floored with the sentiments shared in Love...

The Problem with Hierarchical Hiring

I browse LinkedIn pretty often, and the category of things that appears most on that main feed are inspirational quotes by inspirational leaders. Folks like Richard Branson and Simon Sinek appear most often. More specifically, the quotes have a central theme to them: companies need to hire good people.  For example, one of the latest quotes I've seen on my feed include this one from Tina Fey: "In most cases being a good boss means hiring talented people and getting out of their way." That's a great sentiment, but is that really reinforced in reality?