Skip to main content

Five Tips to Help You Figure Out Anything

Regardless of what industry you work in, your role in the organization, or size of the organization, you're eventually going to have to figure something out that you aren't currently privy to. Heck, this can even apply outside of work. It could be trying to figure out the business process of another area in your company to trying to file your taxes without the help of a third party.

This isn't just a "This might happen someday" kind of thing. No, it WILL happen. You're going to have to figure out some ambiguous process or pioneer something that has never been done before. I've found it to be a very valuable skill in my work, so here are five tips to help you figure stuff out.

1. Find out what other people have done / documented. This one is probably the most obvious and is most relevant to figuring something out that already exists. While this tip would probably be your first resort, I would not let the other tips slip by. Often, you'll find that documentation or people's memory is flaky, so you'll want to utilize the other tips in conjunction with this one when figuring out existing stuff.

2. Interview people. Keeping in mind the ever-present reality that there is no way a single person can know absolutely everything, the best course of action is seeking knowledge from the networks surrounding us. This is widely ranging. This could be interviewing a group of prospective consumers to find out what they would like a particular system to do. It also could be uncovering pain points within an existing process. Whatever the case, I don't think you'll ever skirt around not interacting with people, so people skills are important!

3. Hypothesize from the end to the beginning. When I think about trying to figure something out, I find its usually easier to work from the end user / end product than from the beginning. It's kind of obvious why when you think about it: we do know the end; we don't know the beginning. The end is always going to stay the same, but the beginning could be something you hadn't thought about before. To that "end" (I'm punny), work your way backward to the beginning.

4. Diagram your findings. This is the business architect coming out in me! Let's face it: most of us are visual people. It's easier to understand a diagram or picture than a group of words on a page. You don't have to be an artist to diagram something out. It could be as simple as throwing up Post-It notes on a white board and drawing arrows in between them.

5. Just give something a try. While I wouldn't recommend this be your first resort, there are instances where you just have to give something a try because you'll never fully know how something works out until its out in the ether. Did Apple know the iPhone would be a success when they first launched it? They could hypothesize one way or the other, but the only definitive indicator of success was the actual sale of the product. Sometimes, you're just going to have to try and see if something works.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack