Skip to main content

F is for Faith; F is for Freedom

I've been thinking a lot about my faith lately. Mostly because if I want to reintroduce (or newly introduce) this faith to you all, I want to be able to clearly articulate why I think the Christian faith is important. And because you are intelligent people, I'm not settling for the typical answers likes...

  • You get to go to heaven.
  • Having a personal relationship with Jesus is great.
  • It makes you a better person.

I (and you) could combat all those answers pretty easily, even if they are true. Plus, these typical answers don't fully articulate what we're supposed to do with this life. (Yes, I am moving forward with the operating assumption that this faith is just as important in this life as it is after we die.)

Honestly, I don't have a firm answer for you, and if I'm being even more honest, the primary reason I am a Christian today is because I grew up in a Christian home. If I grew up in a Muslim or Hindu home, I fully concede that I may be Muslim or Hindu today.

That's a wholly different topic for another day, but perhaps the strongest reason Westerners don't like Christianity is because it seems to be restrictive. To these folks, the Bible is just a wall of rules that tells them not to do this or that. Don't get drunk. Don't sleep around. Et cetera.

While I don't have the answers to most things about the Christian faith, I can tell you that I actually think that faith is more freeing than restrictive. Does the Bible say you can't do certain things? Sure, although I wish it were worded differently. I wish it were worded that you SHOULDN'T do x, y, or z. The reason for this change is that it sounds like more of a suggestion of things that would better yourself.

And when you come to think about it, most of the stuff the Bible says you shouldn't do is actually more detrimental for you in the long run than anything. For example, the Bible calls gluttony a sin. As a former fat person, I can tell you this makes sense. I had troubles breathing and moving at times, and I pretty much lost the appreciation for food after a while. Now that I eat right and exercise, my body has never felt better, and eating an unhealthy meal every once in a while is very rewarding.

Again, I have to be honest. While this mindset covers most sins, there are some that I don't know what to do with. Like monogamous homosexuality. The Bible forbids it, but I personally don't have a biff with it. (Hope I'm not opening a giant can of worms by leaving this topic here for now!)

I hope this thought starts turning the wheels in some people's minds. I like being a Christian, and I don't see the Bible's restrictions as a necessarily bad thing. Keep one final thing in mind: the Bible is a widely interpreted book, sometimes misinterpreted. I'm looking at you, folks who 100% forbid alcohol. I understand the merits of protecting potential alcoholics, but there's nothing that says a glass here and there is wrong.


Anyway, I invite you to re-think this faith along with me. I don't think I'm ever going to have all the answers, but I have no problem wrestling with all questions, including the really hard questions. I hope you and I can find solidarity in that thought alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack