Skip to main content

Key Competency #8: A High Threshold for Gratification

I was recently listening an interview with Larry McReynolds, former NASCAR crew chief, who talked about the shift in NASCAR sponsorship from Sprint/Nextel to Monster Energy. Call me what you will, but I couldn't help but chuckle to myself because I cannot think of a more appropriate sponsor than energy. Here is a crowd that gets a kick out of watching cars drive in a circle, and Monster only ratchets up that energy to an exponential level.

If it sounds like I'm making fun of them, that's not really the case. In all actuality, I am not-so-secretly jealous of them. I wish I could get a thrill off these simple pleasures, but I don't. I wish I could understand and relate with the excitement over watching NASCAR. Moreover, I could say the same thing about any sport. I'm not into the NFL, NBA, NHL, Olympics, or any other sporting event.

Actually... maybe having a low threshold for gratification doesn't sound so bad!

I'm not lying about what I said above, but there is an overwhelming part of me that still thinks a key competency of top performers is having a high threshold for gratification. These are folks that aren't pleased by simple things. I know that sounds like a miserable life, and to a degree, it is. Like I said above, I genuinely wish at times that I could kick back on the couch and enjoy a sports game. I just can't.

There is a benefit to folks with a high threshold for gratification: they push harder for bigger wins. For guys like Elon Musk, that means establishing major companies like PayPal, Tesla, and Solar City. For somebody like me, that means working out to maintain my weight loss or obtaining the next certification / degree.

So, is there a way to increase your gratification threshold? I think yes because it happened within me. There was a time when I was perfectly content playing video games and eating a cheeseburger every single day. That changed over time, though, and I no longer garner that same level of contentedness from those things.

I honestly can't tell you what was the precise trigger of that change. It could be simply that I was transitioning from being a teenager to an adult, and the hormones circulating around that time changed. It also could be that I was unsatisfied with my general lot in life at the time and decided to do something about it. Maybe it's a bit of both.

Anyway, as much as I genuinely wish I could garner contentedness from simple pleasures, I do think it's better to have that high threshold. The rewards of having that high threshold are indeed enjoyed on a grander scale beyond enjoying the taste of a Mountain Dew. (Although I do love me some Dew from time to time.)

Don't settle for less. Push hard to be the best. Trust me, the fruits of your labor will be worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.