Skip to main content

Effectiveness Techniques: Strength or Weakness?

I was recently approached by a friend to consider my weaknesses, and my first gut reaction in my mind was "I have no weaknesses." Recognizing that that was a proud, not-so-humble thought, I've spent the past couple weeks thinking over areas where I could generally improve myself. And yes, there are indeed some areas I can improve, including...

  • I still tend to consider myself a generally socially awkward individual, especially when meeting new people.
  • When I'm the focal point of attention in conversation, I have the tendency to try to not leave dead air, which sometimes leads me down a path of saying something I probably shouldn't have said.
  • I have the attention span of a squirrel.

This list is something I am constantly working to improve upon. But there was one thing I mentally noted down that I still cannot decide is a strength or a weakness. Because of this indecision, I purposefully have not acted toward "fixing" it.


Namely, I practice the "effectiveness technique" of not putting much time or energy into things I feel are ineffective in the long run. Or, put more bluntly, I don't like doing things I think are a waste of everybody's time, especially my own.

A non-work related example of this would be micro-managing my finances. My parents are very frugal people, so toward the beginning of my adult life, they constantly harped on me that I should be more mindful of how I spend my money. I knew that so long as I stayed well below the threshold of what I make versus what I spend, micro-managing those finances would be an absolute waste of my time. This particular thought process held up well and was a good decision, at least in my mind.

But things admittedly get sticky in a work environment. We are all asked to do certain things or learn certain tools that we may perceive as a poor use of time. While I can still justly say that I have always been a productive team member in all my former jobs, I will admit that there were times in the past that I purposefully dragged my feet on some things I perceived as a waste of time.

Am I wrong?

The practice of business ethics using the seven virtues dictated by St. Thomas of Aquinas was big for me in college, so let's look at the case for both sides amongst the virtue of justice.

First, let's toss out a very quick definition of justice. I perceive justice as maintaining the balance of credits and debits between two parties, whether that be money, actions, or something else. For example, if a bank loans me $1000 with a 10% interest rate for one year, the just thing to do to pay that bank back $1100 at the end of the year.

Let's expound this to a work environment. On one hand, one could make a sound argument that we are obligated to perform any reasonable action requested by the organization (debt) because they compensate us appropriately (credit). Okay, fair enough. That means if I'm asked to learn a tool or process, I should do it because they pay me, right?

Well, let's look at it another way. Any organization, comprised of imperfect people, could be unintentionally leading people down a rabbit hole of unproductive actions, which unintentionally accumulates a sort of debt: a debt of time and potentially money. I can make a pretty solid argument that purposefully choosing to drag my feet in one requested area to instead focus my time and effort on a more productive area is a more just action toward the organization as a whole.

Which leads me to one final point I can't ignore, as much as I would like: what if I'm requested to do something, and I don't have a better way to be productive with my time at that moment? I honestly don't know how to answer this question. I understand where one would say "You should probably spend that time learning that process / tool", but I don't know. I just really don't like doing things that are ineffective in the long run, even if I have the capacity to do them.


I'm going to leave this topic here and would love to hear some dialogue from you all. I hope I've represented all sides fairly, though I admit I'm still partial toward what I perceive to be "effectiveness techniques". Do you agree, or would you lean toward just doing whatever the organization requests? It's a sticky topic. Let me know your thoughts down in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack