Skip to main content

Weight Loss and Emotions


January 2015 marked the beginning of an entire renovation of myself. That was when I started my Masters program, got the wheels turning on several certifications, and, of course, when I began to lose weight. If you were to ask me which of those was the most difficult, it was losing weight.

Hands down, it was losing weight. 

I'm not saying the other things were necessarily easy, but there was one major difference between my weight loss and the academic-like things: the emotional connection. Where there were some emotions tied to getting things like my PMP, there was a huge emotional connection to my weight. I gained weight because I feel good when I eat. I wouldn't even say that I was eating to compensate for something else, like occurs within some people.

No, I just plain liked eating.

A lot.
This post originally began as a set of tips for those interested beginning a dieting lifestyle change, and that post is still coming. Some of those tips might seem counter-intuitive to what you've read or seen on TV. This is because of the emotional component there is to weight loss. I didn't begin my weight loss journey under my diet today, and I think those trying to lose weight and jumping to what folks like me do today will inevitably fail.

In their book Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard, Chip and Dan Heath deeply explore the fundamentals of being a catalyst for change. At the core of everybody's being, they boil down change initiative into a simple metaphor: a Rider and an Elephant. The Rider is the logical thinker that does their best to steer the Elephant, which represents our untamed, emotional side. (Now that I think about it, it's kind of ironic to think about the Elephant metaphor when it comes to weight!)

Anyway, the Heath brothers rightly contend that as much as the Rider can try to steer the Elephant, the Elephant is almost always going to win out. In other words, we can do our best to logic our behavior, but our emotional side is almost always going to win out in the end. When it comes to weight loss, I just don't think its prudent to try making the Elephant workout every single day and have a super healthy diet. The Elephant needs coaxed by the Rider in slow, manageable steps.

To that end, I think managing your emotions is the best place to start when trying to lose weight. If you try jumping in the deep end of exercise and diet, you will fail. Period. It's why a lot of people that go on shows like The Biggest Loser end up gaining all the weight back. There is a big emotional motivation provided by the show for the timeframe the show is being filmed, but that motivation goes away when the cameras turn off.

If you're considering losing weight, keep in check this emotional principle by finding another powerful motivation that guides your emotions (the Elephant) in following what your logical side (the Rider) desires. One popular new show on TV right now is Revenge Body with Khloe. (No shame in admitting that I love that show!) The show is centered around Khloe Kardashian helping people lose weight by encouraging them to use their anger at somebody as a motivator. I personally don't think revenge is a good motivating fuel, but I like the principle behind it. It embraces this idea that our behaviors are better reinforced by our emotions.

Instead of revenge, channel your emotions into something positive. For me, that looked like a few different things. It meant wearing smaller-sized clothes, having a higher self esteem, and, frankly, I am convinced people respect thinner people more over people with weight issues. Laying down that emotional foundation meant that my Rider was always able to keep my Elephant in check since, generally, they were both in agreement.

When I do write future posts on tips for beginners' dieting and exercise, I hope this particular post provides a good frame of reference why I will suggest those tips. Are they unconventional? Yes. But that's because I think the focus in the beginning should be less on weight loss and more on behavior change. Be looking for those posts in the near future!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack