Skip to main content

Listing Physical Competitions on a Resume?

On the February 20, 2017 episode of The Adam Carolla Show, host Adam Carolla sat down with Scott Keneally to discuss his new documentary, Rise of the Sufferfests, and one of the primary focuses of the documentary is the analysis of tough mudder competitions. I only recently heard about these things from a friend, so for those of you not aware, a tough mudder competition is a sort of obstacle course where people subject themselves to a long, arduous sort of trek through mud. Definitely doesn't sound like they're for the light of heart.

Midway through the interview, Carolla poses a question: why not list something like having completed a tough mudder on a resume? This could be expand to other physical contests like marathons or Ironman competitions.

As somebody currently training for a marathon, I think this is an excellent idea. Why? People just don't waltz into these competitions off the street and complete them on a whim. No, training for physical competitions always involves a level of training and discipline. There's just no getting around it. As much as I would like to say I can run a marathon today, I just can't.

The disciplines associated with training is something that does indeed carry over to the work world. Think about it. Let's look at the disciplines below and how they manifest themselves between health and business.


  • Ability to restrain self from detrimental behaviors
    • Health: Keeping to a healthy diet and not overindulging in unhealthy foods
    • Business: Holding to business practices that are effective and ethical even if there is an "easy" way out
  • Ability to consistently provide high performance in monotonous work
    • Health: Exercising every day
    • Business: Regularly performing recurring tasks, even ones that are seemingly boring
  • Ability to mentally overcome seemingly impossible hurdles
    • Health: Sticking to a diet / exercise regimen that enables you to run a marathon
    • Business: Working hard at a project effort to produce fruitful results
  • Ability to take initiative in undertaking long projects
    • Health: Saying yes to running a marathon, and then working hard for months to train that marathon
    • Business: Saying yes to running a project, and then working hard for months to bring that project to a completion

We could really go on from here, but I think you get the picture. The competencies developed (or shown) within physical competitions translate quite well into business. The behaviors are one and the same, regardless of the context in which they are applied.

I don't know about you, but I think this is an excellent idea, especially for people with little work experience. It's a way to show employers that you have certain skills that would make you competent for a position even if you haven't had the opportunity to demonstrate that in a former job. What do you all think? Should people start putting these things on a resume?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack