Skip to main content

Review: Shoe Dog by Phil Knight


If you've read the other book reviews on this blog, you know that I specifically focus on business-related books. I'm not particularly a big fan of fiction nor of nonfiction that isn't of that business field.

I really don't know what made me check out Shoe Dog. I suppose it's because I saw its overwhelming popularity on Amazon. Even so, I had no idea it was an autobiography. No idea it was about Nike.

And no idea how much I would love reading this book.

CAPTIVATING AND THOUGHTFUL

Shoe Dog is an autobiography written by the cofounder of Nike, Phil Knight. But it's not particularly written in the literary genre normally seen in other biographies. Rather, Knight writes this book more as a narrative. Surprisingly, he his a fantastically gifted writer. His means of conveying his message were thoughtful and almost poetic at times.

You can't help but get enthralled by the story of Nike's humble beginnings. Initially conceived as Blue Ribbon Sports, Knight walks his readers through many of the most key events in the company's history in exquisite detail. There were times the emotions experienced by Knight could almost be felt equally by the reader. From cover to cover, the book is a joy to read.

THE HERO AND THE ANTIHERO

Nike being the beloved brand that it is today, you can't help but walk into the book instantly cheering for Knight's success. Most of the time, this holds up pretty easily. Knight and his rag tag gang scrap their way through the competition as underdogs for many years.

But not all is sunshine and roses in this story. Knight is candid about some practices that do propel Nike's success, but they aren't necessarily honorable. At those points in the narrative, I couldn't help but think negatively of Knight. At times, even, I wished Nike hadn't become the titan it is today.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh, though. It seems to me that by the end of the book, Knight is well aware of all his actions. Aware of both the positive and negative consequences. I would like to believe he would make different choices if he could again, so I do believe he ultimately redeems himself in the end.

LESSONS TO BE LEARNED

This may not have been a business book, per say, but that's not to say I didn't learn a lot. I found Knight's relationships between the top brass at Nike to be particularly interesting. This is reinforced by the fact that Stanford and Harvard have studied Nike's leadership as a means of sharing how a group like this helped the organization to grow.

There are also lessons to be learned about life in general. I found the final section of the book to be particularly thought provoking, especially in terms of death. Now, Knight is still alive even today, but it's fair to say that he is now in his twilight years. The thoughts he shares in this last section made me think a lot about my own life. What do I want to do before I die? How do I live my life like Phil Knight? It was questions like these that permeate my thoughts even after closing the back cover.


Shoe Dog might not have been a business book, but it's still one I am very happy to recommend on this blog. Aside from it being a generally excellent read, there is value to be gleaned from Knight's life and Nike's rise to glory. I would definitely encourage anybody to take some time and check it out. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.