Skip to main content

What's in a Name?

In the afterword of Laszlo Bock's Work Rules!, Bock talks about the choice for Google's HR department to be called "People Operations" instead of the traditional "Human Resources". He explained that the choice was deliberate. The thought was that "Human Resources" had a very business-like feel about it, and people had a much fonder respect for teams with "Operations" in the title.

I rolled my eyes when I read that, and for those of you paying attention, that subtle physical reaction got me thinking about this. Why is it that I instantly rolled my eyes when I thought about that? The answer came to me quickly: I am personally not a fan of flowery titles. Like when somebody calls themselves something bogus an "idea engineer".

What's my issue with this?
It's a two-fold thing. First, it just feels deceitful. Like when that small business owner call themselves the CEO. While not technically incorrect, I think that CEO carries this weight that they're head of a large organization, so when somebody uses that title and has less than five people in their company, it feels like I'm being lied to.

And second, it seems like you're trying to make yourself bigger than you actually are. Harkening back to the small business CEO, it seems like that person gave themselves that title because they think their s*** doesn't stink. Well, let me tell you: it stinks. Bad. (Okay, that example got weird fast, but still, it makes me think you have no sense of humility.)

Let's get back to Bock. Reading further down, he notes that he met somebody that really liked the title of being Head of People Operations. Where Bock also initial wasn't a fan of the title, this person reinforced the idea that Bock's title was a good one.

Another double eye roll from me.

Knowing Bock fairly well from having read his full book, he breaks my "flowery title" mold. I don't think he's trying to fool anybody, nor do I think he's trying to make himself bigger than he actually is. He seems like a genuinely authentic guy that has a real desire to see people flourish.

So where do I land on this issue? Well... I don't know. If I'm being honest, I'm still leaning toward thinking that flowery titles shouldn't be used, but I have to concede that in cases like Bock's, the flowery title works. Still, I would think Bock is more of an exception and not the rule.

Where do you land on this issue? Do you like to see special titles used over conventional ones? Do you agree with what I have to say, or would you rather lean toward a more positive perspective on this matter? This is one area where I'm not going to draw a hard line. I'd be interested in what your thoughts are, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack