Skip to main content

Review: FRAMES Part 1 - 20 and Something

It should come as no surprise to you that I'm struggling to see how the church (or faith) as a whole can do a better job at connecting with our postmodern society. In an attempt to eliminate the word "can't" from my vocabulary, I am doing what I can to contribute to a new movement to help re-integrate or re-introduce faith to folks.

To that end, I reached out to some people in the church about literature regarding this, and there sadly isn't much. However, there is still some. In particular, I was recommended to check out this series of books called FRAMES. This series of nine books analyzes different topics regarding modern society in short, concise books. Books that contain a lot of information portrayed in neat graphical forms.


This first little book, 20 and Something, is all about the Millennial generation. Being a Millennial myself, I found little of the information to be all that surprising. Yes, I know we are entrenched and obsessed with technology. Yes, I know my generation is delaying marriage and encouraging pre-marital cohabitation. In fact, this probably doesn't come as a surprise of any generation.

There were two interesting points, however. First, it was surprising to see how many of the statistical values fell in line with Generation X and even the Baby Boomer generation. For as much as people like to rag on Millennials for being different, we're not all that different. We just have more access to more information, and that has led to a more general acceptance of "progressive" ideas.

Perhaps the more important insight is what the author calls the "dark side of social media". Basically, he contends that social media is more depressing than helpful, and I wholly agree with this. It's why I got rid of Facebook five years ago. Either you're looking down on people and feeling a hollow sense of pride or looking enviously on others who are doing "bigger and better" things than you. I personally like the "one way" street nature of Twitter and Instagram: people can follow me, and I don't have to follow them back. 

I fall more in the camp of nurture over nature, so I don't particularly believe my generation was born the way that we are. We were raised this way. So, if you really wanted to play the blame game, then Baby Boomers (and some Gen Xers) are to blame. But I don't think blaming the cause is helpful given that we don't have a time machine that can fix the misgivings of the way Millennials were raised.

Also, I don't think these issues with social media are limited to Millennials. I think it's something every generation faces. Without naming names, I know older people who suffer daily to keep up with appearances online without tending toward their problems in real life at all. So long as they look good online, they think they're happy. Except it's obvious they aren't happy because, much like a drug addict, they have to constantly keep up this charade.

It's draining.

I think I totally lost track of where I was going with this and how it pertains to faith, but it's still an important topic, in my opinion. Who knows, maybe there is some relevance to faith here? I'll have to think about it more. Anyway, keep an eye out for my review of the next entry in the FRAMES series in the near future. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

The Relevance of Sunk Cost and Opportunity Cost to Learning

When I grew up, my mother told me about this club. It was a ritzy club that had very exclusive, prestigious members. It was praised by the masses as something that everybody wanted to be in. Every day, she would encourage me to do everything I could to join. Fortunately, membership had a relatively low barrier of entry, but it required an ongoing activity. One that would be the death of me, but my mother assured me it was worth it. The name of the club?

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.