Skip to main content

Outsider in the Church

I struggle to write this post because I don't want my words to be misunderstood. I don't want somebody to read this as a means to put down the church or ever give it a chance, as that's the last thing I want. I'm not willing to say that the institutional church as we know it today is a failure.

But for as many drafts as I've written about this topic, I couldn't not publish it.



I've always had a really weird relationship with the church. And when I mean the church, I'm not just talking about the one I currently attend but more so the conglomerate that is basically any Protestant Christian church. I've never gotten along all that well with my peers, and I always felt like an outcast.

I thought that that would change when I grew up and left home for the first time to attend a Christian university, but it didn't. I thought again that would change when I joined a cross-country internship working with many churches in many contexts, but it didn't. And I thought it would change again when I actively pursued plugging myself into multiple ministries at my current church, but... it didn't.

I still feel like an outsider.

At this point, you probably wonder why I'm part of the church at all anymore, and that's a question I sometimes struggle to answer myself. I suppose the answer for me is that my free thinking self doesn't see a logical reason why not to have faith. I have put my faith to the test, and while I, by no means, have all the answers, my faith has remained unshaken over time.

My purpose in writing this post, then, is to let you know that if you feel like an outsider like me, you are not alone. While I have never had a direct conversation with somebody that has conveyed these same feelings, I have a strong inclination that other people like me exist. People that feel misplaced in the institutional church setting but aren't willing to compromise their faith.

And maybe you're like me, too, in the fact that you tend to blame yourself for this weird relationship. I am a person who feels the need to own their problems, so I can't help but look at myself as being the weirdo who caused this strained relationship. As much as I absolutely despise unjust blame shifting, this is honestly one area that I'm changing my thoughts on. Maybe I'm really not the problem. Maybe there is a problem within the institutional church.

I'm delving too much down a hole that I'm not willing to go yet. At least not publicly. I concede that there are still folks, like my wife, that love the church as it stands today and does not have that same outsider mentality. To that end, maybe it is me that's the problem.

Regardless, I think vulnerability ultimately draws people and ideas closer together, and I want you, my fellow outsiders, to see that the church doesn't have it all figured out. But that's not to say this faith isn't worth it. That's the absolute last thing I would want you to take away from this post.

If you've been burned by the church, know that I have too.
If you feel like your opinion isn't heard or is undervalued, know that I feel that same way.
If you've been told you need to get in a small group and have failed multiple times to do so, know that I'm right in that same boat.

Let the solidarity of our failure draw us closer together and rediscover what it means to hold onto this faith. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack