Skip to main content

Adulting 101: Five Reasons to Use Paper over Technology


I'm a tech enthusiast all the way. I frequently visit tech blogs, keep up to date with the latest stuff that I don't own myself, and adopt the latest stuff that my budget affords me. If I could afford it, I'd always own the top of the line computer, smartphone, tablet, and smartwatch. My friends and family look to me to help them troubleshoot through any issues, and I'm almost always consulted by those same folks when they're about to make a tech purchase.


So you might find it weird that I've recently moved back to using paper for some things.

Technology is great, but I've found that it's not appropriate for every scenario. That said, this post is definitely more geared toward my tech-savvy, younger crowd who are apt to use tech for everything. I hope the insights shared here give you a refreshed perspective on the ol' paper and pen.

1. Technology is distracting. Pretty obvious, right? Somebody tries to IM you. You get notified of a new email in your inbox. The whole Internet beckons with its tempting call to read about 29 memes you should send to your coworker. (Real article on Buzzfeed.) If you want give your attention to something, you have to get rid of the distractions. And paper is pretty distraction free.

2. Using a pen and paper fosters better engagement between folks. This one goes hand-in-hand with the first insight, but let me take it a step further. Think about what it's like to use a laptop compared to using a pen and paper. A laptop has a screen that stands vertically whereas the paper sits horizontally on a table. It might be weird to think about, but a laptop screen literally creates a barrier between you and somebody else. Every cliche movie gets this well when they show the nerdy computer guy having to peer above or around his computer monitor. It's a real thing, folks.

3. You can easily draw stuff on paper. I know some people will say that tablets and touchscreen-based laptops have eliminated need for paper by adding drawing software, but as interesting as this concept is, it's still a half-baked idea, in my opinion. It often requires the installation of some third party software that doesn't integrate well with another note application, and OneNote isn't a viable solution yet. Pen and paper still reign king here. If you need to draw out some sort of diagram, it's as simple as turning your notebook sideways and having at it. Speaking of drawing things...

4. Paper is still a better collaboration tool than technology. I kinda already mentioned this in a previous post where I still think Post-It notes are the bomb. Let me give you an example that just happened to me a few weeks ago. I was meeting with a super nice guy who was giving me a rundown about his area when he decided it would be better to illustrate his thoughts with a diagram. He kindly asked for my notepad and pen, and he drew the diagram out right then and there. I don't think that kind of "off the cuff" collaboration is a regular possibility for most situations.

5. The pen and paper you use can make for a great story. This last insight might sound a bit pretentious, but go with me here. Aside from the boring ol' padfolio I use, I sometimes carry around with me a set of Field Notes. Field Notes are interesting to me because they were designed by one of my favorite graphic artists, Aaron Draplin. Bam, right there's a possibility to open a dialogue between you and somebody else, and if there's one thing I've been all about lately, it's been fostering relationships. Another example, my wife recently found some notebooks made to look like the VHS covers of classic Disney animated films. Again, once glance at the notebook opens a potential conversation about Disney in a way that technology doesn't particularly have the option to do.

So there you have it. To that last point, I have been looking for a bigger sort of notepad that tells more of a story than my bland padfolio. If you have any suggestions, send them along to me! Anyway, I hope the insights shared here give you a new perspective on the tried and true pen and paper.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.