Skip to main content

Book Review: Creative Confidence by Tom & David Kelley


If you asked me last year if I was a creative person, I probably would have said no.

The last time I took an art class was probably in eighth grade, and the reason I didn't continue in high school was because I was not particularly good at any of the art projects in grade school. Even with my musical ability, I was still told that I was not a creative person. Merely, I was just good at replicating what I could hear from something else or from reading sheet music.

I believed it. For years.


But deep down inside me, this never sat well with me. Whether it came to arranging furniture in our house or organization a PowerPoint presentation, I knew what did look right and what didn't look right. Only after embracing graphic design did I truly realize that there was a creative aspect within me.

But not just within me. Within all of us.

This book is just about that. Creative Confidence: Unleashing the Creative Potential within Us All teaches us that there is indeed a creative side to us all. I know I'm not alone in thinking that I am not a creative person. Does this mean we'll be able to paint the Mona Lisa? No, probably not. But it does mean that we can come up with creative solutions to unique problems.

The authors of this book, Tom and David Kelley, do an excellent job at balancing philosophy and practicality. In the first part of the book, they share reasons why people think they are not creative and why this is merely a fallacy. They do well in illustrating this point by sharing specific stories of people they have interacted with in the past.

Toward the latter part of the book, the Kelley brothers help put the rubber to the road by offering tips on how to exercise innovative creativity in very specific ways. They include instructions for exercise to help foster creativity amongst a team, how to empathize with end users, and more. These exercises alone make this book well worth reading.

Regardless of whether or not you think you are a creative person, I would encourage you picking this up. This book very much feels like the book I would write if I were to describe my own journey from my pre-graphic design life to my post-graphic design life. Much like extroversion, we all have a creative nature within us. This book helps us to realize that to the benefit of our organizations and ourselves.

Disclaimer: I purchased this book using personal funds and read it cover-to-cover prior to the publication of this review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack