Skip to main content

Aspirations Revisited

At the beginning of this year, you might recall a post where I shared this idea conveyed by Dilbert author Scott Adams in daily writing down your aspirations in hopes that they will eventually come true. (If you want a refresher, here is a link to that post.) Now that we're deep into March (which is insane to think about), I wanted to reflect on what I think about having practiced this weird pseudo-science for a few months.


First off, none of the aspirations have come true. I am not at all surprised because I set the bar so ridiculously high on them that if one of them ever were to come true, I'd probably be in my mid-40s. At the earliest.

I still don't plan at all on sharing with you what I've been writing. I think you'd understand why if I did. The goals are so ridiculously high that you'd probably think I'm narcissistic for even setting them in the first place. I'm currently reading through Ego is the Enemy, and the author shares that the people who kept their ego most in check were silent about their goals. I like this thought, so my loudmouth, blogging self is still going to keep quiet here.

While Scott Adams still held to this idea that the practice eventually produces results in the end, I obviously can't say definitively that I agree with that since none of mine have come true. What I can say, however, is that I have found a benefit I do agree with. If you recall in my original post, Scott Adams partly believes the "science" behind why aspirations work is because of the reinforcement it places in your head. Much like the ability to hear your name in a crowded room, we become attuned to the regularly recurring things in our life.

I actually think I agree with this statement. While none of my aspirations have become a reality, I have found myself more consciously aware of "stumbling upon" opportunities that would take me one step closer to those goals. Of course, I won't deny that it could be just coincidence, but I can't help but think that this is more the result of these newly reinforced ideas attuning themselves to my daily life.

All that to say I'm going to keep practicing these aspirations. I have no idea what's going to become of them in the future, but because of what I shared in those last two paragraphs, I think it's worthwhile continuing them. If you're on the fence whether or not you'd also like to try them, I'd definitely say to give them a go. (And come back and share your thoughts with me later!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack