Skip to main content

Five Tips for Folks Interested in Running

Running was a big staple in helping me lose weight and remains important in helping me maintain that weight loss. I'll be honest: I don't necessarily find running fun like some people do, but I can't overlook the fact that it's certainly effective.

I was never a runner before losing all my weight, and it still surprises me how far I've come in about two years. Where I couldn't run a full mile before, I'm now training for my first full marathon. That's insane to think about. If I can do it, you can certainly do it, too. Here are some tips to help you get started with running.

1. Good shoes and good socks are a must. When I first started running, I wore a pair of super loose tennis shoes and cotton socks. My feet and ankles were killing me after a week, and I was getting a lot of blisters from wearing poor socks. After visiting my local running store to get a good pair of shoes, the difference was like night and day. The pain went away almost overnight. If you visit a local running store (Fleet Feet), they will help find the right pair of shoes for you by examining your feet and watching how you walk / run. I know a couple of the fancier stores even have treadmills with camera systems that map all that out. Trust me, this is absolutely mandatory for your running journey to be a success.

(Bonus tip: Invest in Lock Laces. My shoes always came untied when running, and the Lock Laces were an absolute godsend. It's basically the adult version of Velcro that looks good and works great. Seriously, it's one of the best investments I've ever made that costs less than $10.)

2. Invest in an armband and pair of Bluetooth headphones. Obviously, running is not a five minute workout. You're going to be out there for a while, and if you're like me, you'll go mad after five minutes of silence. Get an armband to carry your smartphone with you, and invest in Bluetooth headphones to be able to listen to music, audiobooks, or podcasts on the go. It makes the run so much more bearable. And yes, get Bluetooth headphones. I used to use wired headphones, and I always used to yank them out by accident while running. I know Beats and Jaybirds are the kings of Bluetooth headphones, but there are certainly cheaper alternatives out there.

3. Track your runs via an app. I know this might sound like an odd tip, but this is something I started doing in the beginning and have never regretted since. Much like tracking your weight loss over time, it is hard to physically notice the incremental improvements you are making over time. Sure, much like with weight loss, you will eventually notice an improvement after months of consistent training, but tracking your runs shows that improvement on a small scale. I personally found it encouraging to see the very small improvements over time, so I would suggest you use an app like Nike Run Club for your own benefit.

4. Maintain a varied workout routine. I learned this one the hard way. For the longest time, running was my only workout choice, and my knees suffered in the long run. The solution here is pretty simple: vary your workouts. In addition to running now, I do some light weight training. This will help to ensure your body doesn't get overworked in a single area so that you can continue running for a long period of time.


5. Don’t worry about pace in the beginning. We all have to start somewhere. If I remember correctly, it took me about two months before I could jog a full three miles without having to take walk breaks at all. If you keep your training up, you will almost certainly show improvement over time. (Tip #3 will help out here.) Eventually, you'll be able to jog non-stop for 3 miles, 5 miles, 10 miles, and more. And your pace will get better, too. The first time I ran a half marathon, I did it in a 12 minute mile pace. At the last Illinois Marathon, I did the half marathon in a 7 minute mile pace. Talk about a huge difference! Trust me, if you keep at it, you will indeed get better over time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

The Relevance of Sunk Cost and Opportunity Cost to Learning

When I grew up, my mother told me about this club. It was a ritzy club that had very exclusive, prestigious members. It was praised by the masses as something that everybody wanted to be in. Every day, she would encourage me to do everything I could to join. Fortunately, membership had a relatively low barrier of entry, but it required an ongoing activity. One that would be the death of me, but my mother assured me it was worth it. The name of the club?

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.