Skip to main content

Five Reasons Why Native App Development Isn't Right for Every Company

When the iPhone first released the App Store as a part of iOS 2.0, they pushed hard for everybody to create native applications for their phone. It certainly made sense for them. If they could create a platform where people could engage with all sorts of content on a singular device, then they could sell a lot of that device.

Certain companies jumped onboard and made quite a name for themselves utilizing this new platform. I'm thinking about social media sites like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat. These fundamental apps showed the potential of what a company could do with a native app, and it didn't take long for everybody else to jump on the app bandwagon.

But I personally think this was a poor mindset for many companies, this idea that "We need an app because everybody has an app!" Sure, it makes sense for companies like Mojang with their top selling Minecraft: Pocket Edition, but does it really makes sense for every company?

I don't think so, and here are five reasons why.
1. Apps take up phone storage real estate. Apps and their corresponding operating systems are getting bigger and bigger, so consumers are becoming much more conscientious about what they keep on their phones. The "must haves" like Facebook will almost certainly make the cut, but what about something like the Taco Bell app? How many times does a consumer actually order ahead at an already fast enough fast food place? If I need to make more room on my phone, Taco Bell is going to be the first to go. (Side note: I do have the Taco Bell app on my phone!)

2. Web-based applications are becoming more and more powerful. Where mobile web frankly sucked back in the day, it has made great strides in recent years. Now, browsing the web via a browser like Safari or Chrome is much more user-friendly than it used to be. Moreover, the Android platform has figured out a way to basically get the native app experience onto the web without requiring the download of an app itself. These new technologies are quickly eclipsing the need for native applications in the future. 

3. Development of native applications require balance across multiple platforms. If you're going to go down the "native app" road, then you're probably going to be interacting with three platforms: mobile web, iOS, and Android. Obviously, these are three different platforms with three different ways of doing things. This is not an easy thing to keep balanced. For example, my beloved Nintendo has still yet to ship Super Mario Run onto Android's Google Play store for what I can only assume has to do with technical difficulties. If you want to keep a consistent consumer experience, you'll have to get good at balancing these platforms. And speaking of keeping up with these platforms...

4. Native applications require a lot of upkeep. Both iOS and Android have major updates at least once a year, and those updates often require native apps to update themselves to remain fully functioning. A rumor currently circulating about the upcoming iOS 11 is that developers will be required to update their apps to 64-bit architecture or potentially cease working. One report I read says that this will effectively shutdown 187,000 existing apps. This serves as a solid example that app upkeep is real and necessary. (Which also means ensuring that your development team can keep up with these changes.)

5. People don't have regular interactions with many companies. This reason, in my mind, is the most important business driver in choosing whether or not to have a native application. For the aforementioned social media sites, a native app is a no brainer. But what about, for example, a car manufacturer? People don't buy cars that often, so why would they need an app taking up real estate on their phone that goes untouched for years? Amongst the other reasons shared in this post, it seems that the more sensible thing to do would be to pour more effort into the web-based experience. This is the primary question that a company should ask themselves before jumping onto the native app bandwagon. Otherwise, the ROI could probably be very low.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack