Skip to main content

I Love the Nintendo Switch Marketing Campaign

Nintendo's brand new console, the Nintendo Switch, is set to launch in a few days, and I am absolutely ecstatic about it. Heck, I'm even taking the day off work. I've been a fan of Nintendo for pretty much all my life, and when you pair a new console with a very highly anticipated game (The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild), I am all in.

Nintendo is definitely putting a lot of weight behind the release of this new console. They've been doing the typical things like setting up places across the country to preview the console, and they notably had a commercial during the Superbowl this year. But perhaps the most interesting thing they've been doing lately is something I have never seen emulated by any other company.

For those of you not aware, the primary selling point of the Nintendo Switch is its hybrid form factor. Just like any home console, you can play it from the comfort of your living room on your TV, but unlike the typical home console, the Switch has a built-in screen that allows you to take the console with you wherever you go.

And when Nintendo means everywhere, they are really driving that point home with their current campaign. Check out the shots below:



The campaign is both subtle and not subtle at the same time. While they're not outright saying "You can play the Nintendo Switch in the desert," the visual imagery and experience is supposed to convey this idea. Moreover, gamers are welcome to preview the Switch much like in the aforementioned cross country preview events.

Regardless of my bias toward Nintendo, I think this is a brilliant marketing strategy. Not only does it give a few gamers the opportunity to preview the console, but it also shares a message using nonverbal cues. I have never seen a company do something like this. It's a very bold move, but I think it's paying off in a big way.

I don't know if it's just coincidental, but I have to believe some part of this campaign rides the coattails of the unforeseen success that Pokemon Go had. Pokemon Go reintroduced players to a long forgotten yet beloved series by introducing a new experience not done by anything else that came before it. (Well, if you don't count Ingress.)

That experience, of course, being exploration. When I saw that first picture of the Switch booth in the desert, my thought instantly was "If I had the time and knew that was somewhere near me, I would want to go find it." And, of course, that would entail collaboration amongst friends to figuring out where this remote location is. Nintendo is drawing buzz about their name and console amongst people searching for this booth.

If postmodern marketing is all about telling a story, Nintendo hit a home run here. It's simple, it's unique, and it shows a lot of character. As a long time Nintendo fan, I am thrilled to see Nintendo hitting it out of the park with this campaign. I hope this draws success for the Nintendo Switch so I can keep playing their games!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.