Skip to main content

Little Caesars: Good Business Model, Not-So-Good Pizza

I like to tell my friends that I lost the weight but not the appetite. And my appetite for pizza is never satiated. Thin crust, thick crust, it's all good to me.

Well... not all of it. I honestly can't say Little Caesars is disgusting, but it is definitely not favorable. If I had to choose between Little Caesars and pretty much every burger place on the face of the earth, I would go for the burger, for sure. Clearly, I am not in Little Caesars' demographic.

Still, I have to hand it to the company. They have changed their business model and marketing plan in a way that has made them once again a key player in this over-saturated industry. Let's take a look at how this sub-par pizza maintains relevance in today's modern society.

Obviously, one of the biggest selling points of their pizzas is their price point. Five bucks is a steal at any rate, but they had to make some big compromises in quality to get them down to that point. Here's the thing though: as much as people want to attribute price point to Little Caesars' success, that's only one factor in their success. After all, I mentioned I would prefer a burger to their pizza, and I can eat cheaper at McDonald's than even Little Caesars' low price point. That probably leads you to the next factor: the quantity of food you get per the price point. Can I feed a family for less than five bucks at McDonalds? Probably not.

This is where the post gets interesting. I think the real key to their success is found in two lesser analyzed factors.

The first has to do with their partnership with Family Video. I'm currently reading through the book Mindless Eating (an excellent read, by the way), and one of the biggest findings of the book is that we all have the tendency to eat more while watching TV. When most people go to Family Video, they have the tendency to watch their movie as soon as they get home. Mindless Eating's studies have also shown that people have the tendency to choose the food option that requires the least amount of work. This rules out even the classic popcorn as it requires popping in a microwave. Which leads to Little Caesars' second, more diabolical success factor...

(Can I pause for a second to apologize for abusing the heck out of the word "tendency" in that last paragraph?)

Even more important than the Family Video connection is Little Caesars' "hot and readiness" factor. Excluding single-slice places like Sbarro, Little Caesars is the only chain that offers a pizza immediately available upon order. You might not think this is a big deal, but the implications are huge, especially in regards to decision fatigue. In a former post, I talked about how our brains are not wired to handle lots of decisions well, even decisions as little as whether or not you want cream in your coffee each morning.

This is where Little Caesars excels over other pizza chains. It might not sound like a big deal, but ordering a pizza at any other chain requires a bit of a commitment. Regardless of carryout or delivery, the time placed between order and receiving the pizza is at least five minutes. That five minute number is definitely on the low end. Those 5+ minutes give time for the consumer to think "Did I really want those toppings? Was pizza a good choice at all...?" This increases decision fatigue and often causes consumers to go for the more mindless option, like McDonalds and their super quick turnaround time.

I started writing this post on 3/23 and began reading Mindless Eating on 3/27. Interestingly and coincidentally, the research within that book is affirming all the thoughts shared here. (And now I feel smart. Yay!)

So, what are the implications of this post? Aside from being merely interesting to a person like me, I think a chain like Pizza Hut or Papa Johns should take note. If these pizza chains adopted a model of having specific one-topping pizzas on hand and ready to go immediately, I think they could definitely see an influx of new business. Of course, that's easier said than done, but I still think it's possible.

And if any pizza chain CEOs read this, you can thank me with free pizza for life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.